To prepare yourself for the open road, call us at Encore Insurance for coverage today!
When you’re ready to cruise along Michigan’s winding highways, rolling hills, or extensive coastline, you don’t want an accident or an insurance issue to spoil your ride. Comprehensive motorcycle insurance coverage from Encore Insurance makes it easier to hear the call of the open road legally and safely—and with that extra peace of mind.
Michigan Comprehensive Motorcycle Insurance Requirements
Encore Insurance’s comprehensive motorcycle insurance protects you and your passengers on your bike, scooter, or trike.
Michigan Insurance Code defines a motorcycle as a vehicle containing a seat or saddle, a motor that exceeds 50 ccs, and no more than three wheels.
As of July 1, 2020, a motorcycle insurance policy must include liability coverage, which protects against property damage, as well as bodily injury or death to another person.
Michigan motorcyclists must purchase minimum amounts of liability coverage that include:
- $10,000 for property damage
- $50,000 per person hurt or killed in a crash
- $100,000 total for an accident hurting or killing several people
Motorcyclists who are age 21 or older may ride without a helmet. However, the Michigan Vehicle Code states that if you ride without a helmet, you must carry at least $20,000 of medical benefits coverage.
Motorcyclists also must carry at least $20,000 of medical benefits for each rider who chooses not to wear a helmet unless that person has their own medical benefits coverage in this amount.
You can purchase higher limits of coverage to protect you, your loved ones, and your assets, as well as additional coverages, such as collision coverage and motorcycle accessory coverage. Please consult with us at Encore Insurance Group.
Additional Motorcycle Insurance Coverages in Michigan
For a fully comprehensive motorcycle insurance policy, Encore insurance offers several additional coverages that may interest you as a motorcyclist in Michigan. These include:
- Comprehensive and collision insurance: This pays for repairs or replacement costs to your motorcycle (after a deductible), even if you’re not involved in a crash. For instance, if you store your bike and it’s vandalized, stolen, or damaged, our comprehensive coverage would handle the cost of standard or factory replacement parts.
- Accessory coverage for motorcycles: If you like to customize your ride, accessory coverage for your motorcycle will pay for any damaged equipment or accessories that go beyond your standard comprehensive motorcycle insurance policy.
- Uninsured or Underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage: While not required under state law, UM/UIM coverage gives you added security on the road by paying for lost wages and bodily injury if you’re involved in a hit-and-run or a crash with an at-fault driver who does not have adequate insurance.
Penalties for No Motorcycle Insurance Coverage in Michigan
If you don’t carry at least the required liability insurance while driving your motorcycle, police could arrest you for a misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of $200 to $500.
Contact Encore Insurance for a Motorcycle Insurance Quote
With our comprehensive motorcycle insurance calculator, Encore Insurance can show you how your current motorcycle coverage compares with the affordable yet competitive rates we can offer through our partner providers. As an independently owned and operated insurance agency, we pride ourselves on providing superior, personalized service that the big insurance companies can’t.
Please call us at Encore Insurance Group in Michigan today at (248) 466-0200 or contact us through our online form here.